Gate Nouveau 64 - Gate Sequencer
- 64 steps
- 16 tracks
- 16 chainable patterns
- 8 unique randomization algorithms
- beat quantized pattern changes
- tied, micro (divided), and accented steps
- variable gate width per step
- division, length, and random algorithm per track
- subtle step evolutions
- internal and external clock support
- MIDI standard drum map
Gate Nouveau is a gate sequencer. It produces high/low signals in 64 steps for up to 16 tracks. Each step can be configured with a variable gate width. Steps can be tied together for multiple step long gate signals. In addition, each track can be set with a custom division, giving quite a lot of control over high/low gate signals.
All 64 steps of all 16 tracks can be snapshot into a single pattern. Gate Nouveau contains 16 patterns. Clicking to a new pattern while playing quantizes changing the pattern in beat with the sequence. A "chain mode" can be enabled allowing designing an entire sequence of patterns, creating an almost "song mode" type feature that's quite powerful.
Gate Nouveau offers a hardware-like experience with an LCD used primarily for configuration. This LCD allows quite a high degree of control over each track or configuring preferences for the sequencer as a whole. For example, the LCD allows configuration such as the time signature, pattern quantization duration, MIDI mapping modes, and even if the sequencer should include triplet divisions or not.
Gate Nouveau can be simple to use, but there is quite a lot of power "under the hood". To make sure you get the most out of the module, a complete training course (below) is included at no cost.
Tutorials & Training
- Quick Start - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_qYN0PHPQ
- Module Layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gEZ70fQH9E
- Gate Width - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36GzSkkaug
- Step Types - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB1SK7gi3SE
- Nudge, Delete, & Copy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMU0lTUDwow
- Track Length (& Polymeter) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvVCYbtJeY
- Step Editing Shortcuts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA_kXOQ9DXM
- Track Division - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TvgriIfnuE
- Microstep Division - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zk-w7u9XeA
- Accent Routing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG4FCmGHUM0
- External Sync - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgApbI2WluM
- DAW Setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fei45Ax8kbU
Quick Start Manual
- Gate Nouveau offers 16 tracks. Track buttons 1-16 run along the top of the module. The current track is shown in white.
- Gate Nouveau offers 64 steps per track. Steps are the large grid of buttons below the track buttons. Clicking a step enables or disables it. The buttons to the bottom left of the step grid can be used to create accent, tied, or microsteps. Tied steps extend gate width to 100% for all intermediate steps. Microsteps allow gate duration to be subdivided into up to 8 separate segments
- Each track has a "step" and "accent" output jacks. By default steps, ties, and microsteps are routed to the step output. Accents are routed to the accent outback. Accents can also be routed to the step jack in the track settings.
- Gate Nouveau offers 16 patterns which contain a snapshot of all 64 steps for all 16 tracks. Pattern changes are quantized while the sequencers is playing.
- Patterns can be chained (sequenced) by enabling pattern chaining. Click "On" under "Chain", then use "+" and "-" to add or remove to the chain sequence. The created sequence can be viewed by going to "info" on the LCD and viewing the "Pattern Chain" screen.
- Random steps can be generated using the "rand" button or "rand" jack. Tracks can be removed from being affected by rand using track settings.
Gate Nouveau 64 supports external clock and reset. It accepts multiple PPQNs including 4, 16, 24, and 96. External clock PPQN can be set in the "config" area of the LCD. The PPQN does not matter as Gate Nouveau will divide or multiple the clock signal as configured for each track division. Be sure to patch a "Reset" signal when using an external clock so synchronize the starting point of GN64 with the external source. Video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgApbI2WluM
Gate Nouveau 64 was built to easily work with a DAW. The free preset pack https://store.cherryaudio.com/presets/gate-nouveau-64-presets offers an "Init - DAW" preset with all jacks already wired up. Additionally a video explains how to do this from scratch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fei45Ax8kbU
December 31, 2021 - Build #106
- Slight improvement to the UI
December 22, 2021 - Build #104
- Pattern length can now properly be made longer
Aug 07, 2021 - Build #103
- Updates for Voltage Modular 2.3.4
Aug 02, 2021 - Build #97
- New: All track, step, pattern, modifier, transport, length, and step type buttons can be MIDI mapped
- Improved clock accuracy and precision
- Minor improvements to preset loading and UI
- Bug: Current pattern no longer jumps to pattern 1 when disabling pattern quantization
Jul 21, 2021 - Build #90
- Bug: Fixed an issue where presets created with the module before Build 78 would not load
Jul 19, 2021 - Build #78 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ESdSozMVQ
- New: When "Run Input Mode" is set to "Trigger" a 2nd trigger now stops the sequencer
- New: "Length on Random" setting (default: Apply) - able to ignore changing length on rand now
- New: "Length on Evolve" setting (default: Ignore) - small chance to randomly change length on evovle
- Bug: "offbeat" random algorithm now properly respects masking
Jul 03, 2021 - Build #67
- Initial release
Dec 12, 21
PURE GOLD Live Session
Ohhh I watched whole tutorial before buying this one!!! And man buying this one, 1 hour in to it, i realise that i can have 16 different patterns(I mean scenes) on top of the 1/4 divide and micro... So without all other "on the go" aspects to spice up the tracks we have: 64 1/4 paterns with micro timing = 64 kicks and hihats per patern. So 64 x 16 paterns = 1024 KICKS & HIHATS!!! And that is maximum of 7:52 seconds for a track at 136bpm, WITHOUT touching any lenght button on the way nor mixer or modulation outside this module!!! This is from my ONE hour usage perspective PURE GOLD for some 10 hour crazy live sessions!